Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New mommies, New hair style?

My hair grew like crazy when I was pregnant and it is now about 3 inches below my arm pits (gets caught there some times...yuck!). I used to dye it blonde, but stopped when I got pregnant .I know you can dye your hair when pregnant, I just never did much since I stopped working, so I just left it alone after my first attempt to dye it brown. Now it has been about 6 months and the new growth is a nice and healthy/shiny light brown/dark blonde compared to the flat/brassy blonde towards the bottom. The texture of the new hair is silky and smooth (and straight), while the rest of the hair is brittle and dry (and weird curly). I would say that the roots are about 6 inches long or so.





So, I know the only way to get rid of the brittle stuff is to cut it off, but I don't want to lose the length. I also don't want the upkeep of blonde, although I really like the color compared to brown. The last time I tried to dye it brown on my own, it had a tinge of green to it. Also, my normal routine is to wash it maybe 2 times a week (with a conditioner afterward) and the rest of the days, just a conditioner (it feels so dry). I use a curl lotion or a shine/defrizz serum on most days, and sometimes straighten it...which for some reason, I can NEVER get the back completely straight. I have flat brushes, round brushes, small straighteners, and large ones....grrr.





Alright...my question is, what is a good cut that is easily maintained (I have a baby and am a full time college student:I don't have alot of time for styling). AND what color would be suitable without being really boring? I am really thinking about just chopping it off, but anyone I talk to says that's a no no! LOL





Thanks to anyone that has a suggestion...I'm struggling here!New mommies, New hair style?
YOu really need to go to a good stylist. The chemicals in over the counter stuff is too strong. They'll give you something that isn't too harsh on your hair. After that the color upkeep will be much simpler.





also you should get one great haircut. Tell them what you want. After that upkeep is simple.





For my hair, which sounds like yours, i wash it 2 times a week, let it get damp and then use a really big bristle round brush and start from the back and work to the front blow drying it. I also use paul mitchell straightening cream. Its about $17, but I';ve had it for two years. YOu only need one pump. It's pretty straight once I use the brush to blow dry it. Then I use a ceramic striaghtening iron for my ends and around my crown area where the hair is kinda frizzy still. After htat I put in a shine serum. I use Ciba and it's $15 for a small botle, but had this one too for over a year and like 3/4 way full. It's expensive product but they work wonders.





All this for me takes like 20 minutes after it's damp. My hair now is about down to my armpits too. And I can do it with my two walking around me. I've used everything, every product every styling appliance. But I found this works the best for me after having my first and I was in school getting my master's.





It's hard keeping yourself up to be honest and being in school I'm sure you see the undergrads with lots of freet ime and think, 'ugh that used to be me.' Practice and you'll feel great once you get it right.New mommies, New hair style?
I ran into the same issue after my last pregnancy. I decided to stick with my natural color and cut it. Mine was down past my armpits as well and while I liked having long hair, I just didn't have the time to keep it looking nice. So I had it cut to my shoulders and had some long layers put in. It still had good length, looked stylish but I could just throuw it back into a ponytail if I was in a rush. That would be my best suggestion. Update the cut and choose a color close to your natural shade. You can cut your hair without cutting it short. Shoulder length is as short as I'll go, but it make such a huge difference!
You really don't need to chop it for it to even with eachother. If you go to your local beauty supply (here it's called sally's) they sell what's called Second Nature. My hair was blonde and recently put second nature on, just choose a color closest to your natural color in the second nature line, and put it on your hair, and your hair will feel more conditioned before you did it. It doesn't havev ammonia so it's gentle and you won't have to worry about upkeep with roots if you keep it blonde. Highly suggest second nature ;) For the cut, if you want manageable, dont do layers because if you don't have time to curl your hair then it looks funny. And if you don't have a lot of time, you want it long enough to be able to pull back in a ponytail. So at least shoulder length. But seriously, don't cut your hair. My motto is that mother's should not have to sacrifice their hair for their children, we sacrifice enough :)
Long layers is easy to maintain and will also maintain your length (for visual ideas google or think Megan Fox or Giselle Bundchen). Try not to use over the counter color--it is all made for a generic 4N haircolor--which means your natural color will only match the shade preview if it doesn't have a shade of red, gold, copper, etc, also they contain metallic salts and chemicals that are really bad for your strands. If you want good, affordable color--I recommend going to a local cosmetology school (it's not as nightmarish as you'd think--students are constantly supervised by instructors).
If you don't want to lose the length then just get it trimmed up enough to get rid of the split/dry ends. I got my hair cut a couple of months ago(I'm actually due for a cut) and it was down to my shoulder blades. I got it cut up to my shoulders with an angled bang. I LOVE it. It's pretty easy to care for. My hair is really thick and wavy but drying only takes about 10 minutes and straightening takes 8-10 minutes.





As far as the coloring goes I'm sure a hair stylist would be able to help you. I dye mine in shades of brown but my natural color is a medium-dark brown anyway so it's not a big deal for me.
i would keep it simple. im 36 weeks pregnant and in the process of growing out my hair long and all one length for the ease of styling. if i were you i would get it cut to all one length and go back to your natural color. get it done at the salon so that no boo boos happen lol =]. as for the boring thing, long hair can be straightened OR curled, put up, or left down..there are alot of styling possibilities for when you DO have a little time to get ready =].
Chop it, chop it! :) I've always had long hair and did the ';new mommy'; cut this time around when I just got so tired of looking at myself with a ponytail, which seemed to be everyday. It does take a little longer to style than a ponytail but only like 3-5 minutes as drying 5 inches of hair is a lot quicker than doing 10-20 inches of hair. Being a short-hair newbie, I was amazed at how easy it is to style short hair! I got a bob that's shorter in the back, longer in the front, so it's still ';girly'; without the length and I totally recommend it. I've seen bobs of varying lengths on tons of women, of all different shapes and sizes, and it seems to be a very versatile cut that looks good on most people. And, worst case scenario, if you end up hating short hair, it'll grow back. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment